• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

A possible need for a computer programme.

Andy Kev.

Nordic Pine
Joined
Jan 4, 2021
Messages
722
Reaction score
59
I don't think that this belongs in the CAD section but if the Mods feel otherwise, please move.

I've just signed up for The English Woodworker's (Richard Maguire) latest project, a nest of tables. The first instalment comes with a cutting list.

I reckon that I've got enough offcuts of cherry to get all but the tops done. The tricky bit is that the offcuts are all of different sizes and deciding which one offers which pieces is a bit like doing a simplified version of Rubick's Cube.

Then it occurred to me that this is probably the perfect thing for somebody who is a whizz with computers. The programme would have to simply match two things: the size and number of the pieces to be produced and the size and number of the pieces of wood available. The result would be a plan showing the former marked on the latter.

Then it occurred to me that it would be no surprise if such a programme already exists. Does it?

All that said, it was quite good fun poring over the bits of wood, doing the puzzle. I think I've got it cracked but obviously a computer would do it in about 10 seconds.

Any thoughts or knowledge?
 
I just draw stuff like that. Draw your pieces of wood, and draw your requirements. Put the latter over the former, and shuffle things around. It's not quite what you want, but with any of the freebie drawing programmes it would probably be just as quick as entering the info into a specialist programme.
 
Thanks, Bob and Mike.

The fact that this sort of software already exists shows just how far behind the digital curve I am. And it doesn't bother me one little bit! I may have a go with one though, just for the fun of it.

In the short term I think I'll probably end up following Mike's suggestion as my little assembly of offcuts is vanishing under the pencil markings (repeatedly crossed out) which I have put on each of them.

I imagine that for pros such software is a godsend. I think it would be of serious use to me if I decided to fit out a kitchen or something similar but that is definitely not on the horizon.
 
I normally start by looking at the different thicknesses and with the largest components and some chalk then work downwards from there. But then using chalk shows I’m a stone age type of person lol.
 
Not wanting to be critical here... but the word is "program". Not American Vs British English or anything, just convention that the computer thing is spelt that way.
 
John Brown":bodfv46m said:
Not wanting to be critical here... but the word is "program". Not American Vs British English or anything, just convention that the computer thing is spelt that way.
I'm quite sure you're not being critical. It just happens to be a convention which I choose to reject for aesthetic reasons: the word clearly derives from "programme" and there was actually no need to trim it to something which in my subjective view just looks a bit ugly and utilitarian. There is a tendency in the IT world to mangle the English language and that really gets my goat, but each to his own.
 
Grain matching is very important to the looks of a piece so you would need to to have some way of inputing that as well.

Chalk and some messing about is best.

Pete
 
Back
Top