• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

Breadmaking Machine

Woodster

Old Oak
Joined
Jan 26, 2017
Messages
2,558
Reaction score
1
Location
Dorset
A relative has been asking which one to get but looking online they’re all out of stock! I wondered where the flour was going.
 
I've used breadmakers for years. Presumably people feared there would be a bread shortage when this Covid-19 malarkey started and bought them up in a panic. I'm surprised but also delighted that they seem to be in use. Perhaps people are finally coming to realise that commercial breads are not really "the best thing since sliced bread" but products made with ingredients which would give you pause for thought if you examined them closely.

I was fortunate enough to buy a small tub of dried yeast just before lockdown, so I'll have enough to keep me going for a few weeks yet. But there doesn't seem to be any in the shops. I wonder how people can use their breadmakers without yeast?

By the way, I've used a couple of brands of breadmakers over the years and found Panasonics give the best results; although I'm sure there are other brands I haven't tried and which also do a good job.
 
Before the pandemic started I always used to go to Tescos and ask the baker for a portion of fresh yeast. Never a refusal, and always FOC. Enough for 4 bakes, and the taste is so much better than what dried yeast makes.

And we have two bakers in the town, and so I have been buying from them and cutting the loaf when I get home thicker than their machine can do it, and then freeze the slices. It comes out just as tasty when you defrost it.
 
I consider it my moral responsibility to help our local small businesses going it is just a shame that it is impossible to go to the village boulangerie and only buy bread.
 
Andyp":a6xgipwg said:
I consider it my moral responsibility to help our local small businesses going it is just a shame that it is impossible to go to the village boulangerie and only buy bread.
I could not agree more my local bakers make wonderful bread and cakes I consider it my moral duty to support them as often as possible :lol:
 
panasonic breadmaker evrytime. ours gets used regularly ie two/three times a week and has never let us down, other than when I forget to put the yeast in or press the go button!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i picked up a "spare" machine from a car boot for £2 one day!
try your local gumtree etc for a machine
 
Our Panasonic is about twenty years old and quite mucky inside. The plastic casing on the outside is also the worst for wear. It’s done stirling service though.
 
We lent our Panasonic and it never came back so I have to make them myself now.

Here's tonight's result.

IMG_3805.JPG

I'm quite chuffed with them. White for me and one third/two thirds wholemeal/white for Mission Control.
 
Nice job Malcolm. In spite of following the shaping instructions I’ve seen I still can’t stop my dough slumping so they come out a bit flat.
 
Woodster":2ynutxkq said:
Nice job Malcolm. In spite of following the shaping instructions I’ve seen I still can’t stop my dough slumping so they come out a bit flat.


Thanks. I've done a couple of bread making courses and the common thing that comes out is be accurate with measurements. I find that weighing fluids is more accurate than measuring in a jug.

Normally the fluid to flour ratio is about 60% - e.g. 500gms flour to 300gms/mls water. Wholemeal flour can sometimes need more water, but we're talking just mls.

If your dough flops on the second rise/prove, then there's probably a little too much water in the ratio. So next time back off the water a little. Also in hot weather the moisture content evaporates a little more.

If you've ever tried ciabatta, that's a wet dough. Anything between 65% and 70%!
 
I’ve tried 60% hydration but the dough still doesn’t seem to be able to support itself. It rises ok but slumps or perhaps doesn't rise enough in the baking? I’m very careful about measuring stuff BTW. I do need to try again with some different flour though, that may make a difference. It’s interesting that the recipe I use for the bread machine is 70% hydration and that works absolutely fine although it is of course baked in the tin.
 
I made yet another loaf in the Panasonic by pre mixing 200ml of water with 200g of flour with some yeast the night before and it makes lovely tasting bread with a nice open texture. I let the pre mix prove over night and put the remaining flour, yeast, sugar and all the salt in the machine ready for the morning. I then just add the pre mix and the remaining water and press the button. I suppose it’s a bit like using a Poolish.
 
This is the first time I've seen the mathematics/science of bread making. Make sense to me. I then to use 60-65% for my mix.

[youtube]fohAKf3gdSg[/youtube]
 
Didn't watch all of it but man what a long winded way to say keep things in proportion for different batch sizes!
 
Something like that, but somewhere else, there will be numbers for different types of bread, applied in the same way.
 
People - I havn't read all of this thread so forgive me if I've missed anything . I was making our bread " by hand " until about 2 years ago when the arthritis made kneading too uncomfortable so since then we have used a Panasonic 2501 , which I am well pleased with . We were buying factory-made sliced bread as the lockdown shortages took effect - compared to home-made it was like eating cotton wool . Anyway recently as yeast and flours in the supermarkets dried up , I finally got around to looking on the interweb - if you still have a problem try SousChef . I ordered 2 x 40gram pots of dried yeast , it seems to have originated in Spain but was despatched within the UK . I have made 2 white loaves with this and the results were the same as having used Allinsons dried yeast . Delivery took about 3 days . Contained in small 40 gram pots with a screw-on lid .
Steve
 
For yeast I'm using this from amazon
61iBHbHJN2L._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg


https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07K91GYJG/

And as I'm running out of my 16kg bag of Canadian bread flour from Costco I also got a 16kg bag of flour from Amazon too. The brand I bought is now out of stock but they have others.

The yeast is very good. It's a huge pack size but you can keep yeast in the freezer so that is where it lives in a sealed plastic tub. Just take it out, use a spoonful and put it back. Should last over a year.
 
As mentioned on another thread I managed to get my yeast from BakeryBits.

https://www.bakerybits.co.uk/saf-levure ... ried-yeast

At the start of the lockdown I bought 10 x 1Kg bags of Italian Bread flour from Amazon. As I was getting through it quite fast I then managed to buy a 16Kg sack of Baguette flour at a good price, also from Amazon.

Strange Amazon can supply stuff like this when Sainsbury’s and Tesco can’t?! :lol:
 
Our Panasonic is getting a bit 'tired' now but still works well and produces a yummy loaf....provided I can get the bloody thing out the baking tin :evil: Unsurprisingly, after many years, the non-stick coating on the inside of the tin and particularly the paddle has started to flake off, so I had a cunning thought.

I always use a chunk of organic unsalted butter in my bread, so yesterday I coated the paddle and tin interior with a generous smear of butter from the pat I was going to use in the loaf.

Come tipping out time, five hours later, all that was needed was a gentle tap on the rim and the loaf came out easy peasy, lemon squeezy! - Rob
 
Irish Soda Bread

When I saw this recipe I just knew it was simple enough for me to make.

SodaBread.JPG

Bought the ingredients that were not in the cupboard.

Measured everything as per the recipe, right down to the last drop of milk.

Mixed by hand (I do not know where the Kenwood is and she is away visiting her mother)

It was a gooey mess, certainly not dough as in bread. :( :(

I ladled it out onto a baking sheet, 2 lumps and into the oven for 45 minutes.
Smells ok, looks ok.

Soda-Bread.jpg

Cut off a slice while still warm.

Not bread, more scone like.

I left out the salt, not allowed to eat and used half the sugar (Brown)

Actually tastes really good.

So, please tell me where I messed up with the "dough". :shock: :shock:
 
If it tastes good that is the main thing Phil. you can always experiment changing proportions slightly next time and see what happens.

With the raisins it sounds more like a large fruit scone than a bread. I hate recipes with 'cups' and teaspoons etc. all too vague for me. When I make bread I weigh everything even the yeast and salt.

I've made scones but never soda bread so can't help much.

It was 2 hens eggs not ostrich? ;)

Maybe try 1 egg next time if it was too wet a dough.
 
I have eaten lots of soda bread in Ireland and UK, shop bought and homemade, my mother used to make it. I have never seen currents in it.
 
Robert":32a6vcrr said:
If it tastes good that is the main thing Phil. you can always experiment changing proportions slightly next time and see what happens.

With the raisins it sounds more like a large fruit scone than a bread. I hate recipes with 'cups' and teaspoons etc. all too vague for me. When I make bread I weigh everything even the yeast and salt.

I've made scones but never soda bread so can't help much.

It was 2 hens eggs not ostrich? ;)

Maybe try 1 egg next time if it was too wet a dough.


Raisins - I think I counted out about 10, not as much as what recipe states. Added zest of 1 lemon. Can be left out.

The eggs were 2 large ones (not ass-stretch :lol: )

I will resort to more accurate ways of measuring if I try it again.

I tried it with jam, then cheese and its good.

Tonight was it in my soup. It is winter and sounds like a thunder storm on its way. Was cold day, max about 10c out of the wind.

Not much left from the 2 'loaves'. :)
 
Right, so lets give it another bash.

More accurate measuring/weighing

Found the electric hand mixer which is great to mix all the wet ingredients.

Also found the Kenwood with mixer pieces.

The dough was no better than last time, so it was just dumped onto the baking sheet.

Second_Attempt.jpg

After 50 minutes it was done.
Tastes fine.



THE DEMON FROM HELL!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

The Kenwood.
Mix all the dry ingredients.
Looks like a snow storm. C-R-A-P what a mess!

Ok, stop machine and start adding the liquids.

Oooooooooooo, big c-r-a-p bits of dough flying everywhere.

DemonFromHell.jpg

The little thing that holds the head down while mixing, yes the little knob. Well it sprung itself lose and ooooooooooo, big c-r-a-p bits of dough flying everywhere again.

The dough is still too sloppy, so add another cup of flour - refer to mess above, more of the same.
Looks like a snowstorm! :lol: :lol:

I ended up mixing by hand just to get it finished.

They look ok and taste ok. Again very nice scone recipe.

Took a long time to clean up the counter top and floor and everything else within reach of the snowstorm.

From these experiences there is always a lesson to be learnt ......................

The big question .........

Would you allow your wife to use your power tools in the workshop?

Never!

So why then mess around with her kitchen power tools :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
 
:lol:

Great fun! Much better than going to supermarket and buying a loaf.

I've got a Kenwood thingy. It doesn't behave like yours!
 
I am a sucker for punishment :lol: :lol:

This is try 3 - same recipe but using brown flour, no sugar or raisins.

All mixed by hand


And, here is the log! Actually looks like proper dough.

Brown1.jpg


Split into 2 chunks and into the oven

Brown2.jpg

This is one cut in half. Still too hot, should leave to cool down. Mental kick for next time.

Brown3.jpg

What was it like?
Very nice, very dense and very filling! :D

Give it at least a 6 out of 10.
 
I'm wondering if sausages can be cooked in a bread maker?

I'm thinking setting the timer so when I go downstairs in the morning, sausages are ready to serve for breakfast. 8-)
 
Pinch":29p98c1l said:
I'm wondering if sausages can be cooked in a bread maker?

I'm thinking setting the timer so when I go downstairs in the morning, sausages are ready to serve for breakfast. 8-)
What if you put the sausages inside the dough in the breadmaker that would save another step in the process
:D :lol:
 
the paddle in the pan might make a bit of a mess of the sausages though!!
PS for cutting fresh home made bread get an electric carving knife ie moulinex etc usually a couple of quid at car boots. and it is a power tool after all..........
 
Gill":1saeb8dk said:
I'm quite happy with my Lie Nielsen breadknife, thank you.

;)
Provided the blade is really sharp, it will go through fresh bread quite easily and doesn't need to have a serrated, 'wavy' edge - Rob
 
This talk of knives reminds me I need to look for a longer bread knife. All this home baking often gives me an oversized loaf compared to shop bought. Need at least a 10" bread knife but I'll not be looking at Japanese type prices. Now what can I get for £20 on Amazon..
 
Do they have serrations on both sides? Don't think you should be able to sell a bread knife without serrations on both sides, they just wander and are useless! Seems to be loads out there like that though.
 
This is the best so far of all the mixes.
Same soda bread recipe without raisins etc. About 2 T-spoons of brown sugar added, no salt.
50% Rye 50% Brown flour. White flour can also be added.
Crush some anaseed, origanum and basil.
Nice thick texture, freezes well.

Bread.jpg

Take 2 slices out the freezer. Microwave for 30 seconds on high.
Generous spread of marg/butter
Some decent thick slices of mature cheddar
That is lunch!
8-)


I enjoy rusks and coffee, so while making a mess of the kitchen decided to make some rusks.

See recipe used below.
Needs a bit of tweaking to get the dough flatter and make thinner rusks.

Rusks.jpg

Rusks Drying.jpg

Buttermilk Rusks

• 1 Kg Flour *
• 2 Large eggs
• 1 X 500ml Buttermilk
• 250gr baking margarine
• ½ Cup sugar (brown) **
• Baking powder 3 teaspoons (Skip if using Self-Raising flour)
• Baking soda 3 teaspoons ***
• Aniseed 2 teaspoons crushed
• Salt to taste (I add nothing - not allowed salt/sodium) The Margarine might be salted. I use unsalted butter.
* Flour - use a mixture of Brown flour, Rye flour, and White bread flour. Ratio depends on your taste
** Sugar - Brown or white depending on taste
*** Baking Soda can be left out. Again a personal taste

Method
1. Make sure you have all the ingredients!
2. Nice big mixing bowl
3. Mix all the dry ingredients in the mixing bowl (all by hand)
4. Melt the Margarine/Butter in the microwave
5. Add ¾ of the buttermilk to the Margarine/Butter leaving ¼ on the container
6. Crack the eggs into a dish (check for shells etc.) and then pour into the buttermilk container - remember to screw the lid on tightly!
7. Shake vigorously and then add contents to Margarine/Butter
8. Use an electric mixer and beta up thoroughly.
9. Gradually add the liquid to the flour mixing very carefully. This is a manual procedure using a large wooden spoon
10. Eventually you get what looks like good tacky dough, a bit of cooking oil on hands prevents sticking.
11. Using one of the oven trays, line it with baking paper
Decision time ……………….
12. Roll pieces of dough about 100mm long - like a sausage roll. Place the rolls onto the baking paper. You should be able to cover the whole sheet, depending on the size of the tray.
OR ………………….
13. Press the dough as flat as possible across the whole baking sheet

14. Oven at 180c
15. Tray on the middle shelf
16. Bake for 40 minutes (check using a thin metal spike) remove from oven
17. Let it cool down completely
18. If roll rusks, break apart and place on the cooling tray
19. If flat one piece, use a plastic slicer to cut blocks (there is a unit that can be bought to do the cutting)
20. Set oven to 100c and the fans kicks in
21. Place the cooling tray in the middle
22. Leave for about 4 hours. Check a thick piece for moisture
23. If dry, turn off oven and leave the rusks in the oven to cool off (overnight)

Finally a large mug of coffee and then dunk away!
 
I am constantly amazed that the one bread maker everyone loves is a Panasonic. You would have thought all the other companies could produce something that works, wouldnt you?
I've had 2 panasonics. I think the first was bought in the very early 90's. made literally thousands of loaves in it, had to buy a new pan and paddle. Gave it to my son when we left the UK for Cyprus, but bought a new panasonic to take with us. That was 12 years ago, still producing perfect bread.
Every other bread maker I have ever heard discussed is hiding in an unused cupboard, or waiting to be donated to a charity shop.
 
Around here the great favourite is Electrolux Hushållsasistent. A Swedish design from the 60-ies still in production though now under the Ankarsrum name.
Ours has belonged to my aunt who used it to bake bread for her family for 40 years at least. Two rubber feet and a plastic knob needed replacement and it was more than time to shift the oil in the gearbox. After that overhaul one and a half year ago it is in use again.
 
Back
Top