• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

cherry blossom

wallace

Old Oak
Joined
Aug 17, 2014
Messages
1,376
Reaction score
548
This tree has been in decline for the last 10 years, it got a hard prune and never really came back from it. Anyway about 18months ago I was shredding a load conifer branches and spread the mulch around the base and general area.
I'm not sure if this years flower display is a last huzzah or the mulch has given the tree a pep.

73ed8897-297e-4b52-9150-abb67050caa2.jpg
 
How old is the tree? They are not long lived. Some only 20 years and few getting older than 40 years. We have a few flowering cherries in different stages of life. We do actively feed them though.
 
It’s been a very good spring for the cherries. Our’s was a picture two weeks ago, as was the plum but are both over now. The apple trees are currently in full blossom.
Wallace, what are the flowers in the foreground?
 
How old is the tree? They are not long lived. Some only 20 years and few getting older than 40 years. We have a few flowering cherries in different stages of life. We do actively feed them though.

According to the old couple I bought the place off. They were the second tennents, the first one was a coucillors daughter who got the best biggest plot on the new development. The place was quite well landscaped by council workers so the stories go. I've found big stone blocks with ridges on them that came from the train station platform, so I believe the stories. In theory it could be 75, When I bought it I had to have extensive tree surveys done to allow my mortgage. I remember the guy said the cherry had been cut off at its base and what we see now is the result. It used to reach the house and overhang the road, the flower show was unreal. I thought I'd better reduce its coverage so set to with my bow saw.

It’s been a very good spring for the cherries. Our’s was a picture two weeks ago, as was the plum but are both over now. The apple trees are currently in full blossom.
Wallace, what are the flowers in the foreground?
My apple is just starting to flower, plum is in full flower. Those flowers are fake that light up at dusk. Wife cannot wait for flowers to come out so brings these out every spring.
 
We popped along to Doddington Hall a couple of weeks ago in part to see the cherry trees, they were beautiful

20250409_122326.jpeg

Some date back to 1946 & still flowering incredibly well, more info about them here

They also have sweet Chestnut dating back over 450 years, you wouldn’t get many straight planks from them but they were fantastic to see still growing.

20250409_121823.jpeg
 
Fake flowers 😂
Here’s me thinking you were a top class horticulturist getting flowers like that in the spring.
I bet you are not old enough to remember the flowers given away with Daz washing powder?
 
When we acquired our current house, five years ago, this was getting out of control, but I cut it back ( bit at a time over three years) and it doesn’t seem to have harmed it.
Will try to maintain its current shape and size from now on.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1011.jpeg
    IMG_1011.jpeg
    430.2 KB · Views: 6
Fake flowers 😂
Here’s me thinking you were a top class horticulturist getting flowers like that in the spring.
I bet you are not old enough to remember the flowers given away with Daz washing powder?
I used to have a few allotments and did the show veg and a few flowers when I was a kid. Im more of a make it up as I go along type of gardener.
I was a toddler when the Daz flowers were offered, I'm sure my wife would of loved them, she put some more flowers in one part and it looked like a pakistani wedding.
 
This tree has been in decline for the last 10 years, it got a hard prune and never really came back from it. Anyway about 18months ago I was shredding a load conifer branches and spread the mulch around the base and general area.
I'm not sure if this years flower display is a last huzzah or the mulch has given the tree a pep.

View attachment 33197
Lovely, one of my favourites.
 
Back
Top