TheTiddles
New Shoots
Deleted
Robert":2jlyus11 said:Nice bit of drawing too
I like the rotating suggestion. Could be possible with a fabricated steel base and make a wood cover to hide it.
The KISS option is the way to do this one IMO as this is going to be a bu§§er of base to build, no matter which way you slices it. Building up the base in layers like this is the easiest way to do it and as for the rotating top…when was the last time you ever saw a spinning coffee table top?TheTiddles":25vf9h8r said:
Any way I look at it, the wastage will be huge, as will the lathe required to turn it.
I'm thinking the route on this will be:
1) Order the glass
2) Make and fit the bosses to support the glass (got the elm for that)
3) If all looks ok at that point, make a prototype base from pine
I'm not feeling confident enough to start with £100+ of elm cut into small pieces
This may take a while...


TheTiddles":2zv88hla said:There are certainly many ways of making a rotating table, but the question not being answered is... Why? I can't think of the last time I found the lack of rotation of a coffee table to be a problem!
The choice of construction is ongoing, the additional factor that I hadn't thought of a way or articulating till tonight is that they all need to be weighed against the probability of success, a method of construction that is highly efficient but is unlikely to be perfect is a loser, coopering is one such idea like that I think, could I make a barrel right first time? Probably not, so this idea scores low ultimately as I'm going to have to look at this thing every day
Aidan
It used to be a wheel, but it ain't any more…it's a coffee table top (or will be) and they don't, as far as I'm aware, spin. I couldn't think of anything more irritating than to put a mug of Aidan's freshly brewed coffee, straight out the machine, plus a slab of his extremely yummy cappuccino cake onto the table top, only to have it whisked away as Mrs Tiddles turned itfred":ds3698vw said:Why? Because it's a wheel that used to turn, and one of the first things that's going to pop into someone's head when seeing the table for the first time is "does it turn?". Of course it doesn't have to, it wouldn't be the end of the world if it didn't, but just think of the added bonus and feature rotation would give.
Also, doing a google image search for "industrial table round" throws up some interesting stuff.
Cheersbscene-drinkingcheers:
fred
Pmsl. Fair enough!Woodbloke":3frqgioq said:It used to be a wheel, but it ain't any more…it's a coffee table top (or will be) and they don't, as far as I'm aware, spin. I couldn't think of anything more irritating than to put a mug of Aidan's freshly brewed coffee, straight out the machine, plus a slab of his extremely yummy cappuccino cake onto the table top, only to have it whisked away as Mrs Tiddles turned itnot to mention the loss of said brew as it got spilt all over the polished glass surface.
It used to be called 'fitness for purpose' when I were a lad![]()
Woodbloke":6nh6em41 said:It used to be a wheel, but it ain't any more…it's a coffee table top (or will be) and they don't, as far as I'm aware, spin. I couldn't think of anything more irritating than to put a mug of Aidan's freshly brewed coffee, straight out the machine, plus a slab of his extremely yummy cappuccino cake onto the table top, only to have it whisked away as Mrs Tiddles turned itfred":6nh6em41 said:Why? Because it's a wheel that used to turn, and one of the first things that's going to pop into someone's head when seeing the table for the first time is "does it turn?". Of course it doesn't have to, it wouldn't be the end of the world if it didn't, but just think of the added bonus and feature rotation would give.
Also, doing a google image search for "industrial table round" throws up some interesting stuff.
Cheersbscene-drinkingcheers:
frednot to mention the loss of said brew as it got spilt all over the polished glass surface.
It used to be called 'fitness for purpose' when I were a lad![]()
Had a look at the 'industrial table round' pics as well Fred and I'd lay a round pound to a pinch of somat nasty that not many of them spin. One appears to go up and down and may turn, but 'tis difficult to tell from the pics - Rob
TheTiddles":pwyw4jn0 said:..... However, have a look at this... http://brandnerdesign.com/collections/furniture/dining-table/truss-table.html it's gorgeous and the elm dining table was heading this way after months of not finding the right castings, I'd even lined up the laser cutters to do it.
TheTiddles":tpg9h0fp said:Andyp":tpg9h0fp said:fair enough Aidan. Bad is not a word a would use to describe that table.
True, nor would I use "portable"!
Aidan