Back in the days when I had a proper job, and could afford rather more in the way of indulgences, I treated myself to a couple of Karl Holtey planes. It seems I've subsequently remained on his mailing lists, even though as an actual furniture maker these days it's of course laughable that I could stretch to such fancy bits of kit!
Anyhow, an email arrived today, promoting a new Holtey "setting" hammer, you know the little thing you might use to tap a plane iron a smidgeon this way or that.
It looks absolutely beautiful. But so it should because it's £760, excluding VAT and delivery.
Now I'm the first to recognise that we're all free to spend our money in whatever manner we choose, and as someone who chooses to hose cash down the toilet with a boat I'm in no position to lecture anyone on profligacy. Furthermore, Mr Holtey isn't price gouging anyone with his products, he doesn't drive a Rolls Royce and I've no doubt there's over £800 of time and materials in each of these hammers.
But I do wonder if this might be a bit of a marketing own goal? Does this reach a point of absurdity, where the benefit is so far outweighed by the cost, that it calls into question the whole edifice of premium tools? Is this a Marie Antoinette moment for woodworking tools?
Anyhow, an email arrived today, promoting a new Holtey "setting" hammer, you know the little thing you might use to tap a plane iron a smidgeon this way or that.
It looks absolutely beautiful. But so it should because it's £760, excluding VAT and delivery.
Now I'm the first to recognise that we're all free to spend our money in whatever manner we choose, and as someone who chooses to hose cash down the toilet with a boat I'm in no position to lecture anyone on profligacy. Furthermore, Mr Holtey isn't price gouging anyone with his products, he doesn't drive a Rolls Royce and I've no doubt there's over £800 of time and materials in each of these hammers.
But I do wonder if this might be a bit of a marketing own goal? Does this reach a point of absurdity, where the benefit is so far outweighed by the cost, that it calls into question the whole edifice of premium tools? Is this a Marie Antoinette moment for woodworking tools?
