Some of the comments about pricing of woodworking mags got me thinking more widely about value. I think we can take it as read that quality always has a price. Then there's the concept of "Luxury Goods", which usually means no more than very expensive goods although you would expect them to be of high quality.
I imagine that we could mostly agree as to what high quality means, something along the lines of "made to the highest standards of manufacturing".
But what about luxury? It occurs to me that a lot of what is branded as luxury is in fact little more than indulgence (which doesn't mean not enjoyable) and then there is true luxury i.e. something which is life enhancing.
I've got three things which would definitely be classified as luxury goods, yet I admit that two of them are no more than indulgences: my watch (which has acquired a sentimental value as we have been through a lot together over more than 30 years but it's just an indulgence), my super posh camera which is no more than a ridiculous indulgence and which I would not own were it not for part exchange and the true luxury of my new pair of shoes, which is by far the cheapest of the three.
I have wider than average feet and my instep is high and therefore breaking in new shoes is often very painful, so I decided to bite the bullet and went to a proper shoe maker for a pair of bespoke shoes. Expensive yes, but at €1,400 they are about a quarter of the price of some which you can get in London and the quality is just as good. They are however, genuinely a painless pleasure to wear.
And that is about as well as I can do on the issue of quality, indulgence and luxury. I imagine that we have all got slightly differing takes on this ...
I imagine that we could mostly agree as to what high quality means, something along the lines of "made to the highest standards of manufacturing".
But what about luxury? It occurs to me that a lot of what is branded as luxury is in fact little more than indulgence (which doesn't mean not enjoyable) and then there is true luxury i.e. something which is life enhancing.
I've got three things which would definitely be classified as luxury goods, yet I admit that two of them are no more than indulgences: my watch (which has acquired a sentimental value as we have been through a lot together over more than 30 years but it's just an indulgence), my super posh camera which is no more than a ridiculous indulgence and which I would not own were it not for part exchange and the true luxury of my new pair of shoes, which is by far the cheapest of the three.
I have wider than average feet and my instep is high and therefore breaking in new shoes is often very painful, so I decided to bite the bullet and went to a proper shoe maker for a pair of bespoke shoes. Expensive yes, but at €1,400 they are about a quarter of the price of some which you can get in London and the quality is just as good. They are however, genuinely a painless pleasure to wear.
And that is about as well as I can do on the issue of quality, indulgence and luxury. I imagine that we have all got slightly differing takes on this ...