• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

Mike's Workshop Build (Extension & slates)

I don't have a hygrometer, and I had a major catastrophic failure of the roof membrane in a storm a couple of weeks back (I've replaced the membrane since). Two inches of water on a workshop floor is a disaster, so the dehumidifier (plus wonderful drying weather since) have probably left me suffering above-average humidity levels ATM.
 
Mike G":3ogutwgg said:
I don't have a hygrometer, and I had a major catastrophic failure of the roof membrane in a storm a couple of weeks back (I've replaced the membrane since). Two inches of water on a workshop floor is a disaster, so the dehumidifier (plus wonderful drying weather since) have probably left me suffering above-average humidity levels ATM.

Sure you didn't need that Mike :(
Any idea when you'll finally get the slates on?

Terry.
 
No, I really didn't Terry. Luckily, almost all of my tools are in the house at the moment.

I'm hoping to slate it within a couple or 3 weeks.
 
Mike,

Just going back a few posts to the cladding.

In your original design on UKW you vented the void behind the cladding at the bottom and the top, under the eaves.

In this build it looks like you haven't vented at the top as you put those inserts (beginning of post on P8) in the eaves between the rafters.

Any reason you didn't vent at the top?
 
Hi Greeno.

That's an insightful question. Actually, the venting at the bottom is more a product of the drip detail, and to let any moisture out that finds its way in behind the boards. With sawn feather-edged boards, butt jointed, there is probably enough ventilation with all the inadvertant gaps without doing anything specific at all..........when dealing with a workshop. It would be a different story when talking about a heated permanently-occupied building with moisture sources.
 
I was going to ask this in a separate thread but really can't see which forum I would put it in. Anyway on page 2 of this thread Mike you posted some photos of your slab. One of them shows a box in the floor and some blue flexible pipe coming out from under the salb for the power and network cables. Could you tell me what type of box you used and what is that flebxile blue pipe called? Cheers
 
The box is home-made of wood, and the ducting was some crinkly-walled ducting I picked up in a barn sale. As an unfortunate aside, I stupidly threaded the wrong cable through the duct before I poured concrete, some of which must have got into the conduit somewhere locking it solidly in place. I therefore can only have only socket in the floor rather than the two I wanted.
 
Mike G":zhfe7w55 said:
The box is home-made of wood, and the ducting was some crinkly-walled ducting I picked up in a barn sale. As an unfortunate aside, I stupidly threaded the wrong cable through the duct before I poured concrete, some of which must have got into the conduit somewhere locking it solidly in place. I therefore can only have only socket in the floor rather than the two I wanted.

How about pouring some brick acid down the conduit Mike? once it has freed up you can neutralise it with some washing soda.

Bob
 
That's a thought, Bob, but I'd need to able to clean it out again before pulling the new cable through. I doubt I could be sure of achieving that.
 
Mike G":2zlofel1 said:
That's a thought, Bob, but I'd need to able to clean it out again before pulling the new cable through. I doubt I could be sure of achieving that.

Thats why you neutralise it afterwards. You can then mop it out with rag or if there is still a route to the outside, shove a hose down it. Not likely to hurt new cable anyway. Tape over the open end as you pull it through.

Bob
 
Two and half years, and three layers of breather membrane later, I thought I might take the opportunity (afforded by the endless wait for replacement oak) of slating my workshop roof. In assessing the job, however, I realised it wasn't as simple as that. The rear of the workshop has had an ad hoc shelter tacked to it for a while now, sheltering all sorts of building materials under some old bits of polycarbonate roof sheets, and all that would require moving just to enable access. You may recall that I had previously laid a few bricks on the northern end of the workshop, as a start to a store-room extension:

Jwa9aUG.png

So, I decided to build that store first, as a place to house all the toot from behind the workshop, and as a bonus, to enable me to clear out my workshop and return that to use. It's approx 1350 x 3750 (4'-4" x 12'-4"). After that was built I would be able to put slates on the roof of the 'shop.

I started with a simple 45x45 frame, sitting on the inside half of the bricks:

UzDoxoR.png

31kijgp.png

The roof is of 95x45 (4x2) rafters, and although I am planning on putting Onduline corrugated roofing sheets on now, I wanted it man enough to take a slate roof in future. This also forced the 22.5 degree pitch:

0eGTQw8.png

GhmZqkE.png

Shelves in:

bVNHXvm.png

Eaves detail. I did um and ahh a bit before going to this trouble, but decided that I want to be able to keep wasps and bees out, as they can take over a little used outbuilding for a summer and prevent access:

UcvhmrW.png

I used roofing membrane for the walls too:

rSlplQs.png

H043vmG.png

This end of the workshop is close to our boundary, and surrounded by stinging nettles, so there are only a few places I can take photos from, including in the adjacent field. The wheat is already suffering in the drought (it hasn't rained here for about 6 or 8 weeks):

h9skprc.png

I then did my normal detail, vertical battens over the vertical frame members, with a wedge at the bottom to kick the bottom board out over the plinth, insect mesh at the bottom. Then I had to scribe ever board around the boards on the workshop, so this bit of work took some time:

mX7uuF7.png

I took a different approach on the other side, because I had a whole lot of off-cuts which were about an inch short otherwise:

Gf0cuJ0.png

HtdMJQQ.png

Flashing in, only the LH side of the opening needing boarding. It's now finished, so I'll grab a piccie tomorrow.

1mon7Bf.png

Finally, I could get on with the main roof. To start with, I fitted barge boards and erected a scaffold:

ichWwXv.png

I also fitted a fascia to take the bottom edge of the first slates. Finally, I was rid of all that flapping overhanging membrane which has bugged me for a couple of years!! Next, I thrashed down the stinging nettles with a shovel to reveal my stash of old slates recovered from the roof of the cottage prior to re-roofing:

Fernh2h.png

There's getting on for 500 610 x 305 (2 foot by 1 foot) slates, which if they are original to the house, as I suspect, are 300 plus years old. Setting out involves a little thought, and some basic maths:

4NzCqtY.png

I fixed a batten to the barge board to give me the line of the overhang, put an additional batten on the roof to take the under-eaves slate, and got cracking:

kV5kDeC.png

d8B1N0c.png

3puzMGq.png

HK3R8Py.png

m80YLLV.png

Each slate required cleaning and re-holing, but considering their age and thinness I suffered very little wastage. They are pretty variable in size, so there was a bit of cutting to do approaching the far end of the roof. There are plenty enough to do the larger rear roof, and maybe just enough to do one of the smaller rooves as well.
 
They do, yes. However, I do have to keep reminding the gardener (my wife) about the relationship between soil levels adjacent to the building and the slab level.
 
Thanks Dave. Yeah the real work doesn't have a photo: clearing the area, getting the ground level for a scaffold, bashing down the stinging nettles, moving building materials out of the way. Compared to all that, nailing a few slates on the roof is a bit of a doddle. Also, I've shown all of the details close up earlier in this thread, and in another thread about another shed, so there is nothing much to be gained by focusing in on the wedges and insect mesh again.
 
I cycled past Mike's place today and was very pleased to see him busy fixing the slates on the workshop roof. I commented to one of the others that I had helped Mike build the workshop a few years ago, how time flies, must be enjoying ourselves. [emoji106]
 
Probably new, Rod. I have to buy some new ones for the house soon anyway, so i may as well buy enough to do whatever is left of the workshop at the same time.
 
the bear":bj2tcjp1 said:
Really pleased to see you finishing this...

:lol: YOU are!! Imagine how my wife feels. Imagine how my neighbours feel. Most importantly of all....imagine how I feel about this finally getting done!! :D
 
Mike G":3qd5jsbn said:
the bear":3qd5jsbn said:
Really pleased to see you finishing this...

[emoji38] YOU are!! Imagine how my wife feels. Imagine how my neighbours feel. Most importantly of all....imagine how I feel about this finally getting done!! :D
It's been a tough wait... for all of us [emoji6]

But worth it, those slate tiles look lovely [emoji106] [emoji106] [emoji106]

Jim

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
 
Hi Mike - quick question.

I'm about to start building a workshop so have been re-reading your thread to re-acquaint myself with a few things that I wasn't sure of. I notice in your drawing at the beginning that there is a ventilation gap above the insulation in the roof - but your actual roof doesn't have that gap. Hope you don't mind me mentioning this but it's something that I've been concerned about with my eventual roof.

I could assume that with a building that isn't occupied or used very often the likelihood of condensation problems would be minimal to non-existent - but I would be grateful if you could put my mind at rest on this point.

Thanks

Paul
 
Paul200":2ln6fb5m said:
Hi Mike - quick question.

I'm about to start building a workshop so have been re-reading your thread to re-acquaint myself with a few things that I wasn't sure of. I notice in your drawing at the beginning that there is a ventilation gap above the insulation in the roof - but your actual roof doesn't have that gap. Hope you don't mind me mentioning this but it's something that I've been concerned about with my eventual roof.

I could assume that with a building that isn't occupied or used very often the likelihood of condensation problems would be minimal to non-existent - but I would be grateful if you could put my mind at rest on this point.

Thanks

Paul

No, this is a different roof. There is a 50mm clear gap between the top of the insulation and the underside of the breather membrane. Obviously there is plenty of airflow under slates. The difference with the diagram you may be looking at is that the OSB board is an impermeable barrier, and would thus trap moisture in. This is the danger of posting information on-line......there are subtleties, and what applies in one scenario doesn't apply in another. What sort of roof covering are you planning on?
 
RogerS":2kh2fwz0 said:
Fabulous slates, Mike. Expensive ?

No, they're the slates I took off the roof of the cottage when I re-roofed it. So absolutely free. :eusa-dance:
 
It took nearly 2 days of work to clear this area behind the shed. It was an overgrown dumping ground for all sorts of building materials, and was utterly inaccessible. Now, I can get a scaffold up:

3YjQgfd.png

Well, you've all seen me slate a roof, so here it is done, with the scaffold down, and two battens clear at the top to give me access to do the ridge:

5TW8DIH.png

The slates, as you know, were recycled from the roof of the old house. So are the ridge tiles. They are hand-made clay ridge tiles, probably as old as the house (300 years). This is why you need to sort them on the ground:

nY1TYjW.png

Very different profiles. One is a third round, and another is known locally as a hogsback, most are somewhere between the two, yet they are all on the same ridge. I spent a few minutes laying them out so that the changes between tiles wasn't too abrupt:

rEIUqNh.png

There is no space at all on a ridge, and with no help, every ridge tile means at least one trip down to the ground (to fetch 3 slates). Every 4th tile you have to fetch some more ridge tiles up. About every 5 or 6 tiles you need another bucket of mortar. Every time you come up you bring some more crocks (broken clay tiles) to pack under the joints. And because this sort of roof has to be done this way, you can't get a line in, so the ridge tiles are just laid by eye. Anyway, here's a few piccies:

jQUseFE.png

SeLfTDI.png

TPfBB73.png

In that last one you can see the difference in colour between dry and wet mortar, as I had to go on a couple of site visits. This difference will have gone by tomorrow. Here's a view from the field:

fctBjv6.png

..........and from the house:

gI1uLAf.png

It looks so much better than the flapping breather membrane and exposed battens.
 
Mike G":2hloezqw said:
RogerS":2hloezqw said:
Fabulous slates, Mike. Expensive ?

No, they're the slates I took off the roof of the cottage when I re-roofed it. So absolutely free. :eusa-dance:

Or a couple of hundred grand, depending how you look at it... ;)

Cheers
Mark


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 
Looking a bit scruffy the outside of that workshop Mike, time for a new coat of paint...

:P

Cheers
Mark


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 
TrimTheKing":2o5xqnbg said:
Looking a bit scruffy the outside of that workshop Mike, time for a new coat of paint...

:P

Cheers
Mark


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Gutters first. That is soil splashed up by the falling water from the edge of the roof. Now that I've got a roof on, gutters can follow soon.
 
Mike G":kilutu6f said:
No, this is a different roof. There is a 50mm clear gap between the top of the insulation and the underside of the breather membrane. Obviously there is plenty of airflow under slates. The difference with the diagram you may be looking at is that the OSB board is an impermeable barrier, and would thus trap moisture in. This is the danger of posting information on-line......there are subtleties, and what applies in one scenario doesn't apply in another. What sort of roof covering are you planning on?

Got you - yes the drawing I'm looking at has a OSB 'sandwich' with Kingspan in between (and although your drawing, it was posted by someone else). I have two choices with my roof. I have a lot of slates left from demolition of an outbuilding - but not enough to cover my new roof. Or I thought of using felt shingles - I like the look of them and they're easier to lay than slates. The second option would need the 'sandwich style roof.

Thanks for clearing that up Mike.

Paul
 
Mike that really looks great! :eusa-clap: :D 8-)

You deserve a beer, or two.

Sadly though, the booze for the roof wetting was consumed either two years ago or it's gone off :oops:

I think the thread requires a read from the start just to refresh the memory.

{Edit - just cant spell :oops: }
 
Sorry, stupid question time. What sort of heating did you/have you use? or is it warm enough to work in during the colder months due to the insulation?
 
Mike you are a legend! I've really enjoyed reading this. You should write a book on shed building, I'd certainly buy it!

Thanks so much for taking the time to share this. I'm hoping to move in the next few months, would love to try and have a go doing it your way. I'll probably refer to this thread about 1000 times when I do.

The workshop looks amazing, beautiful work.
 
Thanks Oscar. The slates on the front of the smaller roof have also been done now.

There's always plenty of help here if you decide to build your own workshop. Good luck with the move, and let us know when you start your planning for the new building.
 
Back
Top