• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

Parliament or Projection Hinge?

AJE78

Seedling
Joined
Jul 30, 2020
Messages
44
Reaction score
0
Hopefully a straight forward one here. I'm looking to a hang door using either parliament or projection hinges. Nothing special about the door, just a standard pine exterior door, 44mm thick, 1980mm high x 915mm wide. The door needs to clear the reveals and vertical cladding and so needs something like a 75mm throw (if thats the right word) to be able to outward open a fully against the face of the building.

Some folks say parliament hinges are less strong? Are they significantly less weak? I've not weighed the door but can do but its not ultra heavy its a fairly run of the mill door. Lastly, three hinges? I was going to go for three hinges just to be safe. That sound ok? Hold everything tight and true?

If anyone has any experience of parliament versus projection I'd be really interested to hear.

Cheers

Andy
 
They're not less strong, for a start. Three sounds fine. You'd probably get away with 2. As for Parliament vs projection......either/ or. Price and looks would be the deciding factors, I reckon.
 
I have a pair of seriously heavy oak double glazed doors hung on parliament hinges in an oak frame. Salvaged them for re-use in my music room as doors to the outside. Takes two of us to lift each door. The hinges are rock solid. I would have no concerns if you buy decent quality. The ability to fold the doors right back is nice.
 
Thanks Mike & Adrian, exactly the advice I needed. I think it was on a Screwfix forum that a chippie had commented that the Parliament hinge was weaker due to the cut away on it. To me I can't see why it would be weaker so good to have that myth busted!

Adrian my doors won't be nearly as heavy as yours so good to know mine should be absolutely fine.

Cheers

Andy
 
Back
Top