Afternoon All,
I've just been stripping old paper off a wall in order to paint the wall. The skirting board is fairly narrow, probably about 1 1/2" (35 mm) and I will want to eventually replace it with something more like 3" (75 mm). A question arises, which I suppose belongs here because it is not essentially woodworking.
It looks like there was once wider skirting as there are a number of pin heads projecting just above the surface of the plaster. My first thought is to give them light taps with a nail punch, so as to get them below the surface. Is that an accepted method? I ask because if anything is liable to crack and fall apart, it seems to be plaster. There are a few small holes which I have to fill as it is.
Thanks in advance.
I've just been stripping old paper off a wall in order to paint the wall. The skirting board is fairly narrow, probably about 1 1/2" (35 mm) and I will want to eventually replace it with something more like 3" (75 mm). A question arises, which I suppose belongs here because it is not essentially woodworking.
It looks like there was once wider skirting as there are a number of pin heads projecting just above the surface of the plaster. My first thought is to give them light taps with a nail punch, so as to get them below the surface. Is that an accepted method? I ask because if anything is liable to crack and fall apart, it seems to be plaster. There are a few small holes which I have to fill as it is.
Thanks in advance.