• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

Wallace has got me thinking.

duke

Old Oak
Joined
Dec 18, 2020
Messages
3,572
Reaction score
2,213
Location
Field, Ontario, Canada
Name
Scott
When I said to him that I have a first addition Lord of the Rings and the granddaughter might have it ? I really have no idea what is in a lot of boxes in storage.
Let alone probably useless stuff collected over the years. There is always a termination point of your life and how are the kids etc., going to deal with what we leave behind. Sonny boy wants all the tools. I assume they will come in and grab what is useful to them.
Probably best for them to get in a liquidation company that will offer peanuts on the dollar. !!!
 
Last edited:
Me and the missus are deep into the clearance of two houses at the moment. The sheer volume of “stuff” is quite overwhelming and have we got the time and inclination to examine and value every item, eg a vast collection of Lladro porcelain?
We have found a few items of jewellery that were individually valued years back for insurance valuations which is helpful but that covers just a small proportion of what is there.
I doubt many people keep records that would help future generations to know what is worth keeping, selling or disposing.
 
Yes, me too. Virtually all I possess in the world now are my clothes and my tools.
Severe death cleaning! Not that I’m about to go any time soon but emigrating forces it upon you.
In one way I was lucky that my books had been badly stored and were mildewed as that would have been a wrench otherwise.
 
Me and the missus are deep into the clearance of two houses at the moment. The sheer volume of “stuff” is quite overwhelming and have we got the time and inclination to examine and value every item, eg a vast collection of Lladro porcelain?
We have found a few items of jewellery that were individually valued years back for insurance valuations which is helpful but that covers just a small proportion of what is there.
I doubt many people keep records that would help future generations to know what is worth keeping, selling or disposing.
We do and regularly update our LWT's. Agreed, there's quite a bit of nit naff but all the expensive stuff is itemised for it's eventual recipient(s) and will be sorted out by No.1 son and daughter, who's also aware of our Legal Power of Attorney document - Rob
 
Father’s paperwork was all immaculately kept, that has been the easy bit although the solicitors have let us down badly, 17mths in and still not finalised. It is all the ornaments from our family as well as my stepmother’s that has in a quandary including stuff from the family of her first husband whose relatives we have struggled to trace.
 
It is all the ornaments from our family as well as my stepmother’s that has in a quandary including stuff from the family of her first husband whose relatives we have struggled to trace.
That sounds a bit of a nightmare Andy. If you dispose of stuff that distant relatives may eventually claim, you'll be 'damned if you do and damned if you don't'. No easy way out of it; one way or another the house needs to be cleared - Rob
 
Me and the missus are deep into the clearance of two houses at the moment. The sheer volume of “stuff” is quite overwhelming and have we got the time and inclination to examine and value every item, eg a vast collection of Lladro porcelain?
We have found a few items of jewellery that were individually valued years back for insurance valuations which is helpful but that covers just a small proportion of what is there.
I doubt many people keep records that would help future generations to know what is worth keeping, selling or disposing.
I went through this with Jenny's parents, thankfully when they emigrated from England in 2004 they only had a half of a shipping container brought over.
 
Scott I'd check that tolkein, there is one at auction soon expected to fetch $300,000 :oops:. I should really itemize my shed just in case I pop off and the mrs sends in the scrap man.
 
Wow, it must be in mint condition. The last time I checked some years ago it would fetch maybe $400. The colour has faded a little on mine.
bought mine in 1976 at the Witchurch Stouffville sales barn.
 
Wow, it must be in mint condition. The last time I checked some years ago it would fetch maybe $400. The colour has faded a little on mine.
bought mine in 1976 at the Witchurch Stouffville sales barn.
A first edition of LoftR is going to be worth a very considerable amount of denarius. Personally, moi, I'd rescue from wherever it's been stashed and take very good care of it! - Rob

Edit: I have a first edition of Freddy Forsyth's little novella 'The Shepherd' but that's not quite in the same league.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top