I recently watched Schindler's List on the TV and found Ralf Fiennes' portrayal of Amon Göth to be remarkable. I wondered how accurate it was and came upon a YouTube clip. It turns out that the film version of Göth was, if anything, watered down because some things would be just unshowable.
However, that's not the reason for this thread. What struck me about the clip was the almost surreal pronunciation employed by the commentator. I found it painful to listen to. The problem stems from his emphasis nearly always landing on the wrong places in his sentence. I'm fairly sure, in fact I'd bet on it, that nobody talks like that in real life. Have a listen (sorry about the subject matter being so horrible):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAgIKNGfD2Q
I came to the conclusion that the commentator is someone who is probably literate (he appears to be reading from script) but very poorly educated. The only other place I've come across wild pronunciation like this is in the broadcasts of cabin crew in aeroplanes.
Do you think that people like this believe that such a way of speaking makes them sound knowledgeable? It has the opposite effect on me. Any suggestions on where it comes from? Am I being over sensitive?
However, that's not the reason for this thread. What struck me about the clip was the almost surreal pronunciation employed by the commentator. I found it painful to listen to. The problem stems from his emphasis nearly always landing on the wrong places in his sentence. I'm fairly sure, in fact I'd bet on it, that nobody talks like that in real life. Have a listen (sorry about the subject matter being so horrible):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAgIKNGfD2Q
I came to the conclusion that the commentator is someone who is probably literate (he appears to be reading from script) but very poorly educated. The only other place I've come across wild pronunciation like this is in the broadcasts of cabin crew in aeroplanes.
Do you think that people like this believe that such a way of speaking makes them sound knowledgeable? It has the opposite effect on me. Any suggestions on where it comes from? Am I being over sensitive?