• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

What kind of router is this >>

Generally known as an overarm router but that one looks like it has automated height control for each pass eg one axis of CNC

You can get the spindles for CNC on ebay and then maybe make an adaptor to mount it on a morticer column if you are that way inclined.

Bob
 
That looks like the router is in a powered vertical slide, like what would be used as the Z axis on a CNC machine.
I have used my Trend T3 router in a drill stand, it's not powered, just used a lever to lower the machine. I have a foot switch I power the router though. I have not used it for anything as big as a neck shaping, just cutting small pockets to take hardware in.
 
Cheers guys, know what I'm searching for now!

I like the idea of mounting it on drill press stand, however this is a 1/2" bit, do you think a big 1/2" router mounted on a drill press would be dodgy?
 
I think it also may be known as an overhead pin router, the pin on the table being directly below the router shaft.

The guitar neck tapers across two axes along the fingerboard length, and so the radius should also reduce slightly from body joint to nut. I might be wrong, but that neck looked parallel. I'd love to be able to mechanically rout a neck which tapers in width as well as depth.

Look at my avatar. Man up and carve it by hand like we've all done before we could afford machinery! :D
 
Malc2098":v6pvwgkh said:
Look at my avatar. Man up and carve it by hand like we've all done before we could afford machinery! :D

Ha I did hand carve my last (my own and only!) neck. It came out ok-ish, but took aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaages!! Ice ages come and go quicker than me doing this.

I love the idea of something that speeds it up and offers a bit of repeatability!
 
OscarG":a1hnbgtq said:
I love the idea of something that speeds it up and offers a bit of repeatability!

I agree. We'll have to work together on it! :D
 
Cheers for vid. He makes it look very easy!

I started off doing mine like this, my fave guitar builder > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2Wxw3YFHsg

Problem is even if you get the rounded profile right you still have to get the neck thickness tapering, which he doesn't show in the vid.

I sort of ended up carving the neck, shimming one end then running it across the router table to take a thin tapered slice off from front to back, then rounding over the flat spots I just created.

A truly daft way of doing it but at the time, seemed my only option. It's a real steep learning curve carving making necks, no wonder a lot of luthiers switch to CNC.
 
Ha! He is a she! She has an interesting channel making her guitar in the conservatory of her house.

Your vid is good, too. I shall try that with my Martin.
 
Malc2098":26pdwwcl said:
Ha! He is a she! She has an interesting channel making her guitar in the conservatory of her house.

Oops! Sorry lady. I'll check out her channel. Cheers.

Malc2098":26pdwwcl said:
Your vid is good, too. I shall try that with my Martin.

David Fletcher is amazing, he's basically my "guitar daddy", taught me nearly everything. His vids have really good production values, he has a 10 part series on building a strat from start to finish.

Another good one is Highline Guitars.

I used to like Crimson Guitars but as much as I like the chap, he talks too much!
 
I quite like this chap's approach.

[youtube]V7YFl5xBsdI[/youtube]
 
Oscar, this looks like a similar machine but shows much more what's going on.

You can see that the neck is held at an angle, so if the neck/fretboard sides are already finished tapered, then the angle the jig holds the neck provides the the other axis taper.

[youtube]IIArvMvcHlY[/youtube]
 
And this one is a really sophisticated hand made jig.

[youtube]nc66Gm5jcys[/youtube]
 
Back
Top