• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

Windsor Chairs

Dan, I have tried the star-m f-type bits and they're very good, in fact my favourite bit so far, they leave insanely clean holes and there's no breakout at all on the exit, I got a free one with my simon james holdfasts and want more now.
 
I'll add a few chair/stool making tools to the thread.

I have the Veritas 14 degree reamers, but made a 7 degree one for comparison. I also made these two travishers ...

BuildingTheThreeCorneredStools_html_m5a69f77.jpg


BuildingTheThreeCorneredStools_html_6274373d.jpg


For drilling the mortices, I have not seen in this thread any of the Wood Owl bits designed for a drill press ...

BuildingTheThreeCorneredStools_html_72400e13.jpg


BuildingTheThreeCorneredStools_html_m1d0c8de0.jpg


These three-cornered stools in USA Hard Maple were inspired by the work of Escherick. In the case here, the rungs were set to offer different heights for children/adults and position with a stool face (hence being three-sided) ...

ThreeCorneredStools_html_27c1b362.jpg


ThreeCorneredStools_html_5f74c2a3.jpg


ThreeCorneredStools_html_545901c9.jpg


Made to match the kitchen I built in the same Hard Maple ...

ThreeCorneredStools_html_24eab93d.jpg


Regards from Perth

Derek
 
thetyreman":6wphwnxr said:
Dan, I have tried the star-m f-type bits and they're very good, in fact my favourite bit so far

Another vote for Star-M auger bits. I believe they're made by the Japanese company Wood Owl, and have released an even better version for chairmakers, the Ultra Smooth Wood Boring Bit. They're available in imperial and metric, fit both hand braces and power drills, and come in a 7 1/2" length (that's the one I prefer) and also a much longer version. You can buy them in the UK from these retailers,

https://tftools.com/en/collections/woodowl-auger-bits
 
Adzes - a big one will do the job on a seat but make for a nasty injury if you get it wrong. Scorps are hard to find and quite expensive. I tried Henry Taylor sculpture gouges, but what a lot of racket pounding at them. A travisher of various designs is quite a tractable DIY project, and can do the whole job but requires a little patience. And using one is so peculiarly satisfying that it is no hardship.

Now, did someone say Gedge augurs were supposed to make a cleaner hole ? Maybe mine are too blunt, because that's not my experience. Their best feature is that they work better into end grain than other types.
 
Custard":3q7zixmk said:
I recently mentioned that I was working on some Windsor chairs, and said I'd post a photo. I don't want to ambush another thread so I'll start a fresh one.

View attachment 1





Cheers everyone!


Custard ... absolutely stunning!

What I have come to expect from you (and long time no see).

Regards from Perth

Derek
 
Custard":7sp4fey4 said:
Another vote for Star-M auger bits. I believe they're made by the Japanese company Wood Owl, and have released an even better version for chairmakers, the Ultra Smooth Wood Boring Bit. They're available in imperial and metric, fit both hand braces and power drills, and come in a 7 1/2" length (that's the one I prefer) and also a much longer version. You can buy them in the UK from these retailers,

They look very interesting. From what I can tell / guess, the corporation is a Japanese company (Star-M) and Wood Owl looks to be an american subsidiary or similar. Wood Owl's website gives the address as being in Illinois, but the copyright notice at the bottom shows ownership by Star-M International, which is presumably (?) the same as the Japanese Star-M.

Unfortunately, being an American subsidiary, it looks like those Ultra Smooth bits are only available in imperial sizes :( . http://www.woodowl.com/PROD_ultrasmooth.htm

They're not listed at all on the Star-M website (unless I'm mistaken) so perhaps Wood Owl runs largely independently.
 
This is an amazingly top notch thread with two super skilled guys contributing ideas and skills. Thank you Gary and Derek.
 
Back
Top