• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

Jewelry box

Pete Maddex

Old Oak
Joined
Nov 29, 2020
Messages
1,605
Reaction score
905
Location
nottingham
Hi chaps

Its about time I made another box, I have loads of nice bits of wood to make box lids from incluging a nice bit of pippy Elm.
its going to be simmilar to this one I made some time ago.

Oak knot box by Pete Maddex, on Flickr

So I started on the lid, cuting it to size and plaining it smooth using my Record 5 1/2 and infill scraper plane.

Pippy Elm by Pete Maddex, on Flickr

Next it was over to the router table to cut some 5mm slots in the lid using a 5mm slot drill, I chose some rosewood for the splines and made some rosewood dowles by bashing some rosewood through a plate.

Rosewood breadboard end by Pete Maddex, on Flickr

thats as far as I got today, more on this story later...


Pete
 
Not much visable progress on the box today even though I spent a good few hours on it.
I did polish the brass hinges for the lid, scraped the lid smooth and wiped on a coat of danish oil.
I worked out the size of the box alowing 15mm over hang at the back and cut the sides from a plank on nice quarter sawn oak.
hopfully the medullary rays will standout with a couple of coats of Danish oil.
I still have to peg the splines/breadboard ends on I will do it from the back so they don't show.

Pippy elm box by Pete Maddex, on Flickr

Its going to be 260x150x90mm, I will make a lift out tray possibly lined with cow skin like I put on top of this box.

Brown oak and cow skin box by Pete Maddex, on Flickr

Pete
 
Sides mitered after a battle to get the chop saw set up, the miters where shot on my shooting board to the final length, and the base cut and veneered.

The clamps by Pete Maddex, on Flickr

Just need to cut the grove for the base but I don't know the width of the slot until the clamps come off.

Pete
 
I am making slow progress on the box, its been glued up and the tray constructed,
The base of the tray has been veneered its in the clamps waiting for the glue to cure.
Once that is done I can cut the rebate for the base in the tray.

I have decided it needs a base so I have cut some quarter sawn oak, I an going to add some splines asross the miters using some rosewood.

Box and tray by Pete Maddex, on Flickr

Pete
 
Have you ever tried filling any voids with brass? I did on a project once. I got the filings from my local key cutting place. I used CA glue, and then sanded back.
 
I have filled holes with epoxy and ground coffee.

The holes are very small so I don’t intend to fill them.

Pete
 
That's a lovely, stylish box. I do envy your ability to see the potential in unconventional bits of timber.

What's the finish?
 
Great stuff Pete, well done. I'm not sure about the splines in the endgrain of the lid. Are they there just for aesthetics, or to help keep the lid from cupping?
 
Thanks chaps.

The finish is danish oil on the outside and wax inside.

The splines are for keeping the lid flat and decoration, I only had a millimeter or two of wood on the left hand side of the lid so a breadboard end was out so splines it its.

Steve, I was wondering what to keep in it!

Pete
 
That’s very nice Pete, now I don’t think that my brain would ever have come up with that design of lid like that, I like to think that I can think the unconventional but obviously there is a limit to it!
 
That’s very nice Pete, now I don’t think that my brain would ever have come up with that design of lid like that, I like to think that I can think the unconventional but obviously there is a limit to it!
Yep. I can’t imagine having the courage to use wood as figured as that . Lovely
 
Thanks Jim

I can't believe I don't have to go to work, its a much nicer way to live.

The stools are one of the things I am really pleased I made, they are really comfortable to sit on.

Pete
 
Back
Top