• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

Peters'ish Box

Looks good so far Aidan. End grain/end grain veneer jointing is always IMO going to be fraught with difficulties like having a line showing :cry: - Rob
 
Aidan, you must have a lot of cufflinks to need a box like that.

Great to see the trials and tribulations on a project which have been well recovered from.
 
TheTiddles":2wnnq8ju said:
I've never had a problem with them... till today when I completely cocked it up.

But this side the misalignment is glaring, almost 1mm...



I need to give this away to people I don't see often. Grrrr
Welcome to the club :lol: …whacha going to do for the fix?…or is it beyond it? I have a bandsaw that needs feeding if you can't find a recipient to give it to :D - Rob
 
I wonder if, with the lid open, you gave the lid a gentle tap with a gentle persuader could you bend the henge just a tad to even up the misalignment?
 
Andyp":1hccwh04 said:
That is a shame. I wonder how many people would notice it though.
Agreed Andy, it's a shame…but then Aidan knows it's there and if he's anything like me, it would always rankle :evil: It's either got to be 'right' or it's 'not right'…at the moment this box, good though it is, is 'not right' - Rob
 
TheTiddles":2hc7x3fb said:

I could be wrong

Looking at this picture it looks like the corner block on the lid line does not match for grain pattern have you accidentally turned the lid 180deg.

It's a shame about the problem as it is a great looking box
 
Dalboy":d1l9j2si said:
TheTiddles":d1l9j2si said:

I could be wrong

Looking at this picture it looks like the corner block on the lid line does not match for grain pattern have you accidentally turned the lid 180deg.

It's a shame about the problem as it is a great looking box

Look carefully at the joint 'twixt the lid and box. There's a 'step' of about a mm which can't be fixed - Rob
 
But that's the bit I don't understand Rob. How can it possibly be correct on one side and out on the other, if it was cut from the same piece and was correct before…?

Unless it has expanded across the width…

Again, apologies if I'm missing something or have misread.

Cheers
Mark
 
If you are really bothered plane off the 1mm on the side and inset a 1mm wide piece of matching veneer where it's too short?

Rod
 
Rod":1l49cvo3 said:
If you are really bothered plane off the 1mm on the side and inset a 1mm wide piece of matching veneer where it's too short?

Rod
That's the 'fix' that I would do and if it's done sympathetically, it'll be invisible - Rob
 
Aidan

Sorry to see the problem, I was enjoying watching the construction of the box, it is a level of skill and a deft touch I would love to aspire to, but fear it will always be beyond me.

I think you are right to put it to one side and move on, rather than chop it up in (an understandable) angry moment at the time. Maybe there is an answer that you can't see now that will come to you in time.

Terry.
 
TheTiddles":30sym2wl said:
That corner is the worst of them, they're all out, no adjustment can be made without filling in the hinges and re-cutting them, which can't be done invisibly. I've also flushed the sides off to the skewed position so it's beyond help now. I'm moving it out of sight and starting a different project!

Aidan
There's only one solution :mrgreen: Bring it round here at the weekend and you can feed it through the bandsaw yourself and I'll take some piccis! :D - Rob
 
Back
Top